I specialize in weddings and elopements that are intimate, unique, family or adventure-oriented, that weave in the couple's unique style. My style is vibrant photojournalism - I use a lot of prompts when working with couples and families such as "whisper breakfast cereals in your sexiest voice in your partner's ear" - one of my favorites. Yes, it's silly - ridiculous even - and that's the goal. I'm not looking for a posed moment, but the ones before and after, when you slip out of the pose and into genuine expression - the kind that embody your relationship perfectly in an image. Those are the moments I work to capture. They are authentic, personal and emotional. They tell your story. If you want mostly posed photos, I am not the right photographer for you, and that's totally ok. I do, always, include posed photos in galleries. Those are generally the ones that end up on mom’s and dad's mantel. But for the most part, I look for laughter, tears, embraces, and I weave together a gallery that can only be described as emotional storytelling. The “Story of Us” so to speak.
1. You send me an email to figure out my availability and prices (my weddings start at $1,800 for six hours of coverage by the way).
2. If I’m available, Good News! I then ask to meet for coffee or set up a Skype or Facetime call. I meet with 100% of potential wedding clients. Yes, it's super intensive, but making sure we are a good fit is vitally important to me. During this meeting I'll ask you about what you do, your love story, your favorite things to do with your partner, and your vision for your wedding day. We'll go over a rough timeline and talk about what sort of coverage you might need. During the meeting, you'll get a chance to ask me any questions you like. I'm a pretty open book.
3. You want to book. I'll send you over an electronic contract and invoice for the retainer - about 30% of your wedding. Once you sign the contract and pay the retainer the day is yours! Until both those things are done, I leave the day open, BUT if there are multiple inquiries for the same day I always let people know.
4. A month before your wedding I send a detailed questionnaire. This will include timeline details, what family groupings you want for family formals, and whether or not you want a first look or not. Some of this we go over in our pre-booking meeting, but things change! This is another step to make sure we are totally on the same page.
5. A week before your wedding the full balance is due.
6. Wedding Day! I generally arrive early to check out the space and light and see how everyone is feeling. Throughout the day I do my best to just blend into the background and capture moments as they come. BUT I'm also fully capable of easing nerves, telling stories about my dogs, and tying bowties.
Finally, your wedding day will be magical. But it probably won't be the best day of your life. WHAT? Yes, I know. Hear me out. Your wedding day is a celebration of your commitment to a life partner. That is an incredibly big deal. But weddings are stressful, even though all of us try not to make it so. (As in, try not to be like the admittedly very cute couple below.)
In the end, marriage is not your wedding flowers or catering or even the photography, but simply a collection of moments that make up life together. A wedding day is a celebration of "I chose you." And that is magical!